Sunday, February 26, 2023

Tasting - "Ramsay Pinot Noir"

 



Name of the Wine: Ramsay Pinot Noir
Grapes in the Wine: Pinot Noir
Country of Origin: United States
Region of Origin: California (North Coast)
Vintage Year: 2020
Price: $6 per 5 oz glass, $19.95 per bottle

Review of the Wine: From the Vintage Cellar, "The nose shows classic Pinot Noir notes of raspberry and cherry, with lots of earthiness and lovely toasty oak. The mouth explodes with blueberry, Bind cherry, anise, and toast. Even more striking is the depth and richness of the mouth-feel, like a rich, thick, red pillow for the mouth. The wine is very fruity, with blackberry characters and a big, rich, tarry and solid balance. The oak is refined and quite opulent in its "warm" characters."

Wine Folly: Page 150: Pinot Noir
Pinot noir has flavors of cherry, raspberry, clove, mushroom, and vanilla. I could taste the cherry in this, but almost everything was overpowered by the flavor of the oak barrel it was so clearly aged in. I could almost taste a bit of the vanilla, but overall it tasted like I was eating a piece of toast (in a good way).

My Review: I don't think I've ever had a wine that tasted this toasty. And by toasty, I literally mean it tasted like toast. It was like eating a piece of toast. I love eating toast, so this wasn't an issue for me. But others might find this off-putting when they are expecting a more fruity flavor. This was the first example of a wine that truly had the flavor of a new oak barrel. I'm not sure exactly if they aged it in a new one, but it was a very strong flavor, so it must have been at most on its second or third use. I thought it would taste delicious with meat, cheese, or basically anything that you would put on a sandwich, but I had it on its own. I thought it was great on its own as well, and loved the warm and almost woody flavors.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Wine and Cheese Pairing

  Yesterday, I completed my first Wine and Cheese Pairing assignment. I used the Wine Folly textbook's advice on cheese and wine pairing...