Sunday, January 29, 2023

Tasting - "Fonseca Bin 27 Port"




Name of the Wine: Fonseca Bin 27 Port

Grapes in the Wine: Unknown specifically, but ports often have touriga franca, tinta barroca, tinta roriz, or many others
Country of Origin: Portugal
Region of Origin: Gaia
Vintage Year: N/A
Price: $21.99 per bottle

Review of the Wine: TotalWine.com says, "This sweet wine shows fresh, rich blackberry and cassis aromas. On the palate, it has a well-knit structure, with a velvety, luscious mouthfeel and smooth tannins.""

Wine Folly: Page 154: Port
Tastes present include black plum, dried cherry, chocolate, raisin, and cinnamon. It definitely has the presence of cherry in the taste, but most of all, it tastes like raisin. It almost seems like liquid raisin.

My Review: This wine is very strong compared to other wines that I have had, and you can even smell the burn of the alcohol. It is dark, almost black, and seems to be thick as well. As I mentioned above, it tastes very much like raisins. I'm not sure if I actually like the fact that it tastes like raisins, because in a way, the whole thing reminds me of the filling of a fig newton: it's sweet with a dark taste, and has that strong aroma of dried fruit. I don't taste any chocolate in it, but I can see how there is some present because it would definitely blend some of the other tastes together and make a stronger, more full flavor and scent.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wine and Cheese Pairing

  Yesterday, I completed my first Wine and Cheese Pairing assignment. I used the Wine Folly textbook's advice on cheese and wine pairing...